Matcha White Chocolate & Sesame Sandwich Cookies
Working in the food industry, Evonne is no stranger to the delicious range of savoury, sweet desserts and her instagram @greatescape_v is proof. Passionate in baking since young, cooking up mouth-watering dishes is her regular self-care activity now. Her recipes are classic, bursting with flavours and depth, always adding a special touch. Check out her specially-crafted series One Day Meals with Niko Neko Matcha: from the matcha spread on your morning toasties to the café-style matcha dishes with a slight twist on a popular dessert for after dinner.
"It is the feeling of satisfaction after seeing the result of my hard work that gets me."
Evonne / @greatescape_v
INTERVIEW WITH @greatescape_v
The mix of savoury and sweet dishes in your Instagram looks stunning! When did your passion for food begin?
I grew up surrounded by many varieties of food as my family and relatives work in the food industry. My favourite memory is when my dad would bring me to the international food trade exhibitions and visit the production plants whenever he had an overseas business trip. I also enjoy watching cooking shows since I was young, it inspired me to craft things with my own hands. It is the feeling of satisfaction after seeing the result of my hard work that gets me.
What's your biggest challenge in creating these mouth-watering recipes?
Usually, I would draw and write down the ideas before making any dishes. However, sometimes the food may not turn out like how I wanted it to taste or look. Even so, I learned to keep trying and not give up. Eventually, it will turn out amazing!
Personal tips for your recipe viewers when working with Matcha recipes.
It was my first time experiencing different types of matcha powder. So, it took me a long time to understand each of them, especially trying to distinguish their uses and differences. You definitely must try every different type of matcha powder because everyone has their own preference of taste.
What was your inspiration for Matcha White Chocolate & Sesame Sandwich Cookies?
My friend showed me a picture of a matcha cream tart topped with tiny sesame crisp. And she said it was too creamy and thick to finish the whole tart by herself. So I thought I could twist it a bit, and that's how this recipe came to be.
Matcha White Chocolate & Sesame Sandwich Cookies
Serves: 15 - 18pcs
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Chill time: min. 1hr
Total time: 1 hr 35 mins
1 Egg white
25g Powdered Sugar
20g Unsalted Butter (melted)
20g White Sesame Seed
30g Black Sesame Seed
A pinch of Salt
Matcha buttercream filling
50g Unsalted Butter (soften)
40g Powdered Sugar
1 ½ tsp of AJISAI / Matcha Powder (sieved)
Matcha White Chocolate Glaze
80g White chocolate button
2 – 3tsp of Coconut oil (or Canola oil)
1 ½ tsp of YURI / Matcha Powder (sieved)
* Any aluminium cookie cutters (size between 4 -5cm)
Method For Sesame Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg and powdered sugar until well combined.
- Add cornflour, a pinch of salt and whisk until well combined. Then continue with melted butter.
- Add sesame seed to the mixture and whisk until everything is coated with the batter.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Put the cookie cutters on the baking tray. Then, spoon some batter into the cookie cutters with a smaller spoon. I fill each cookie cutter with 1 to 1 ½ tsp of batter.
- Bake at 170°C for 13 – 15mins.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven. Then transfer the cookies to the cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before serving.
Method For Matcha Buttercream Filling
- Use an electric hand mixer, beat the butter and powdered sugar together until light and pale in colour.
- Add AJISAI / Matcha powder continue to beat until well incorporated.
- Then, transfer the buttercream to a piping bag and keep it in the fridge for later.
Method For Matcha White Chocolate Glaze
- Add 2 tsps of coconut oil to the white chocolate. You can add more later, to adjust the consistency.
- Then, use a double boiler to melt the white chocolate and YURI / Matcha powder.
- After that, stir with a whisk until everything is well combined and the powder dissolves completely.
- Leave it on the boiler, set aside.
Method To Assemble
- Take out the Matcha Buttercream filling from the fridge. If the Buttercream is too hard to pipe, leave it at room temperature for 3mins before working. It shouldn’t be so soft that it will spread out easily when you sandwich it between cookies.
- Pipe the buttercream onto the middle of the sesame cookies and sandwich with another cookie. Repeat the same with the rest.
- Then, drizzle the matcha white chocolate glaze on the sesame cookies.
- Chill the cookies for at least 1 hour until the filling and coating are firm.
- Serve the cookies with a cup of tea or as the topping on your smoothie bowl for extra texture.
SHOP AJISAI / MATCHA POWDER HERE
SHOP YURI / MATCHA POWDER HERE