Houjicha Coconut Ice Cream
Working in the food industry, Evonne is no stranger to the delicious range of savoury, sweet desserts and her instagram @greatescape_v is proof. Passionate in baking since young, cooking up mouth-watering dishes is her regular self-care activity now. Her recipes are classic, bursting with flavours and depth, always adding a special touch. Check out her specially-crafted series One Day Meals: from the matcha spread on your morning toasties to the café-style matcha dishes with a slight twist on a popular dessert for after dinner.
"It is the feeling of satisfaction after seeing the result of my hard work that gets me."
Evonne / @greatescape_v
INTERVIEW WITH @greatescape_v
Serve: 4-5 servings
Prep time: 15 mins
Making time: 2 hr 15 mins
Freezing time: 3 hrs
Total time: 5 hr 30 mins +/-
120g Cashew Nut (soaked at least 5hrs or overnight)
350g Coconut Milk (preferably full-fat, for thicker consistency)
120ml Coconut Water / Water
5 tsp AKANE / Houjicha Powder (sieved)
Salted Cacao Nibs
*Prepare sea salt & a bowl of ice (stainless steel bowl)
Method To Assemble
- Combine AKANE / Houjicha powder and coconut water/water with YUKIWA / Matcha Hand Mixer or a whisk until the powder dissolves completely. Set aside.
- Use a food processor or blender to blend the soaked cashew nut, coconut milk, sugar, and AKANE / Houjicha liquid until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into a stainless steel bowl and chill in the fridge for 30 mins.
- In another larger stainless steel bowl, put sea salt and ice.
- Then, take out the bowl of mixture and place it on the bowl of ice with sea salt. It helps to keep the temperature of the mixture low.
- Use a hand mixer to mix for 15 mins on low speed. Then, cover with a cling film and put it back in the freezer for 30 mins.
- After freezing for 30 mins, take out the bowl of mixture and use a hand mixer to mix for 15 secs on low speed. Then, cover with a cling film and put it back in the freezer for 30 mins.
- Repeat step 7 three times until you get a sticky/thick consistency. On the last round, sprinkle the desired amount of salted cacao nibs before you mix.
- Then, transfer it to an airtight container and freeze for at least 3 hours.
Work with ice-cold stainless steel bowls.
If you have an ice-cream machine at home, you could pour the mixture into the machine and churn it according to the instructions on the machine.