Genmai Crepe & Caramalized Apple
Working in the food industry, Evonne is no stranger to the delicious range of savoury, sweet desserts and her instagram @greatescape_v is proof. Passionate in baking since young, cooking up mouth-watering dishes is her regular self-care activity now. Her recipes are classic, bursting with flavours and depth, always adding a special touch. Check out her specially-crafted series One Day Meals: from the matcha spread on your morning toasties to the café-style matcha dishes with a slight twist on a popular dessert for after dinner.
"It is the feeling of satisfaction after seeing the result of my hard work that gets me."
Evonne / @greatescape_v
INTERVIEW WITH @greatescape_v
Serves 3 – 4 Crepes
Prep & cooking time: 30 mins
Resting time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hour
10g Glutinous Flour
6g SUISEN / Genmai powder (sieved)
44g Cake flour (sieved)
A pinch of salt
25g Sugar / Coconut Sugar
1 Big Apple (cubed)
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
Your choice of nuts (roughly chopped)
A pinch of salt
Method For Genmai Crepe
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl until well incorporated.
- Then, cover the batter with a cling film and let it rest in the fridge for 30mins.
- Heat up a lightly greased frying pan on low-medium heat.
- Scoop the batter onto the pan with a ladle and cook for about 1 – 2mins on each side. Carefully run a spatula around the crepe’s edge, then flip it over to cook the other side (Note: Flatten the batter evenly using the back of the ladle. Not to thin, as it will turn crispy and crack when you fold it later).
- Transfer the crepe on a cooling rack. Repeat the same with the rest.
Method For Caramelized Apple
- Melt the sugar in the pan over low-medium heat.
- When the sugar has melted, add the apples, butter, and nuts to the pan. Stir and cook for about 3 mins.
- Then, add a pinch of salt and turn the heat low. Continue to cook until the apples become tender and nicely caramelized on each side. It should take not more than 10 mins.
Method To Assemble
- Scoop 1-2 tbsp of Caramalized Apple onto the crepe and carefully wrap it.
- You may also serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.