Christmas Matcha Cupcakes w/ Genmai Almond Butter Cookies
Working in the food industry, Evonne is no stranger to the delicious range of savoury, sweet desserts and her instagram @greatescape_v is proof. Passionate in baking since young, cooking up mouth-watering dishes is her regular self-care activity now. Her recipes are classic, bursting with flavours and depth, always adding a special touch. Check out her specially-crafted series One Day Meals: from the matcha spread on your morning toasties to the café-style matcha dishes with a slight twist on a popular dessert for after dinner.
"It is the feeling of satisfaction after seeing the result of my hard work that gets me."
Evonne / @greatescape_v
INTERVIEW WITH @greatescape_v
Prep time: 20mins
Cooking time: 22mins
Total time: about 45mins
Matcha & Strawberry Cupcakes
3g of YURI / Matcha powder (sieved)
63g Cake flour/All purpose flour (sieved)
½ tsp Baking powder
A pinch of Salt
67g Unsalted Butter (soften)
12g Almond Milk / Milk
100g of Sugar
2 sprigs of Fresh Thyme (optional)
A squeeze of lemon juice
A pinch of salt
Genmai Almond Butter Cookies
Substitute with SUISEN / Genmai powder following this recipe: Houjicha & Matcha Almond Butter Cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 170 Celsius.
- Using a hand mixer, whisk together the matcha powder, flour, baking powder, unsalted butter, a pinch of salt, and sugar. Start with a moderate speed, and mix until the ingredients are combined.
- Then, add an egg and almond milk. Continue to mix until fully incorporated.
- Divide the batter into cupcake tins equally. You should fill up to 60-70% for each cup.
- Bake for 20 - 22mins.
- Then, transfer the cupcakes to the cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, add strawberries, sugar, fresh thyme, and water. Cook on medium heat, stir occasionally to combine.
- Once the mixture becomes bubbly, add a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Then, reduce to medium low heat, until the mixture got thicken or to the consistency you prefer. Set aside.
(You could make this a day in advance and keep in an airtight container in the fridge. Make sure you let cool completely before storing.)
Method To Assemble
- To assemble the cupcake, use a corer or thick paper straw to remove a little piece from the cupcake centre.
- Then, fill the cupcake with strawberry jam.
- Lastly, décor with whipped cream, Genmai Almond Butter Cookies, rosemary, candy sprinkles, and some dusting powder.
SHOP YURI / MATCHA POWDER HERE